“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.”(Romans 1:18 NASV)
Where is God? He is where He has always been, creator of and ruler over His creation.
God’s wrath is an exercise of his justice and abhorrence of man’s rebellion. God’s wrath hangs like Cicero’s Sword of Damocles over every man and woman walking on the face of this earth. Our lives hang by less than horsehair. Indeed, the very breath of God suspends them.
But why is God so angry and wrathful, you ask. Was the Psalmist correct when he said, “God judges the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.” (Psalm 7:11)
Romans chapter 1 gives us the reasons why God sits in wrathful judgment over mankind.
Mankind suppresses the knowledge God has given regarding Himself. “That which is known about God is evident with them for God made it evident to them.” (v. 19).
- Mankind has deliberately failed to honor God as the God of the universe. “For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God.” (v. 21)
- Mankind fails to “give thanks to God” for who He is. (v. 21)
- Mankind has become “futile in their speculations; and their foolish heart was darkened.” (v. 21)
- Mankind professes to be wise, but “they became fools.” (v. 22)
- Mankind is idolatrous. “They exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.” (v. 23)
- Mankind is enslaved physiologically and psychologically by the lusts of their thoroughly depraved nature. (v. 24)
- Mankind has elevated the philosophy of humanism denying theism. (v. 25)
- Mankind has turned to the acceptance and practice of the LGBT lifestyle. (vs. 26-27)
- Mankind has been self-subjected to every form of evil, contrary to the laws and nature of the righteous, holy nature of the Creator. (vs. 28-31).
- Mankind practices and gives approval to the evil actions of other men. (v. 32)
- Mankind ridicules any idea of future judgment by God. (v. 32)
There are a dozen divinely revealed reasons why God’s relation to man puts man in danger of eternal damnation in hell. [Read more…]